Thursday, July 21, 2005

squash, tons of it

I joined a local csa (community supported agriculture) farm this year. I decided to join at the every-other week drop off level, rather than the every week. Just trying it out this year.

So far i've paid $90 and gotten 2 soft coolers to store/hold the food that gets dropped off at my house and one shipment of food delivered. I just wished we would have gotten a few more tomatoes---they were incredibly sweet. The CSA people did promise not to overload us with squash too often---two people can only eat so much squash! The shipment contained:

  • 2 heads of lettuce
  • 2 pickles (my husband was very happy about these!)
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 hot pepper
  • 2 big zucchini
  • 2 zephyr squash
  • 2 papaya pear squash
  • a bunch of patty pan squash
  • 6 eggs
  • a baggie of cherry tomatoes

Everything we've eaten has been delicous and really fresh tasting. We've grilled lots of sqash and made many salads. I used the eggs to make Oeuf Cocotte and am going to try stuffing the patty pans tonight with another recipe from Chocolate & Zucchini called Courgettes Rondes Farcies.

The questions I have about the CSA are----how many more deliveries will there be? and, would it be cheaper and/or easier for me to pick out the produce I want at one of the farmer's markets? But, I'm in love with the delivery aspect...it's fun to come home to a cooler full of scrumption surprises!!!

No comments: