Thursday, May 11, 2006

Couscous with Carrots, Chickpeas, and Herbs

I usually try to borrow cookbooks from the library before I make a purchase - to see if they're actually worth buying. Sometimes there are complete duds or I find only one or two recipes that look good. Other times I don't like how the book is set up or find out that the index is terrible. My favorite part of cookbooks are the indexes!

My friend gifted me a subscription to Cook's Illustrated and I have checked out many of their other books. The recipes always turn out great. I knew that The Best Light Recipe would be a book worth buying sight unseen. So far, it's been just as good as I had expected!

Last night I made baked cod, french green beans (both frozen from Trader Joe's) and this couscous for dinner. I have never made baked cod before and found out that I would much rather eat it deep fried and dipped in ketchup!

Couscous with Carrots, Chickpeas, and Herbs

1 1/2 c. couscous
1 medium onion, chopped fine
4 tsp. olive oil
salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 c. water
3/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley, cilantro, and/or mint leaves
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
black pepper

1. Toast couscous and transfer to large bowl.
2. Combine carrots, onion, 1 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt in saucepan. Cover and cook on medium heat until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and increase heat. Cook until vegetables become slightly browned. Stir in garlic, coriander and ginger until fragrant. Stir in water, broth and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
3. Stir boiling liquid into couscous, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let sit until grains are tender, about 12 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in remaining oil, herbs, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.

from The Best Light Recipe

3 comments:

Sourire11 said...

mmmm that sounds so good! But i'm a big fan of lemon in anything...

good job on getting Burnham right btw!

Anonymous said...

I'd thanks you. I received your (OMG) pkg today and I was very sploited ! You rocks ! I posted fews pics today on my blog if you to see it .
Thanks again Holly, I hope that you partner will be terrific as you :D

West Des Moines Furniture Assembly said...

Lovely bllog you have here