Thursday, October 05, 2006

it sounded good

Just a quick post...

Yesterday I scoured the internet for a slow cooker recipe that used chicken thighs and/or legs and no cans of cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup.

I found Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken on allrecipes.com. The recipes from that site have been hit or miss for me. Reading all the comments and ratings does not help either. They are all over the place and everyone tweaks the recipes anyway.

It was ok but I want to eat come home to dinner and say "mmmm good!" The chicken was a bit dry - which happens more often than not when there's no SOUP in the pot - and the sauce wasn't anything memorable. Is it necessary to use some version of a creamed soup in every slow cooker dish?

This morning I made a loaf of banana bread from the cookbook I am in LOVE with - The Best Light Recipe. Unlike the above mentioned website, every recipe I've made from a Cook's Illustrated publication has been a success. The lovely loaf was cooling on the kitchen table when I left for work this afternoon. Another reason to be excited about going home....in only 3.5 hours.

1 comment:

Sourire11 said...

I've had the same experience with all recipes - it seems like people rate things pretty arbitrarily... I just printed out a slow cooker recipe for a pot roast that I’m going to try tomorrow... It uses beef broth - perhaps try just plain old chicken broth instead of creamy soup?