Tuesday, August 23, 2005

in-laws

My husband (h.) and I went to New Jersey to visit his mother and step-father. The weekend went really well, h. only had 2 mother meltdowns.

Drove in on Friday. Took the NJ Transit into the city and met them for dinner at the Natural Gourmet Cookery School. That was fun. Food was all vegan and delicious. Note: They only serve dinner on Fridays at 6:30 so you need to make a reservation and it's BYOB.

We visited MOMA on Saturday afternoon. I wouldn't recommend this. It was REALLY busy. The new building was impressive and of course the art was fabulous. Just pick another day and/or time to go. We had coffee and pastries at the Cafe on the 2nd floor (there are 2 cafes and a restaurant). Portions were small and very pricey. I noticed that everyone eating cleaned their plates off.

Saturday night we ate at a Italian place in Brooklyn. I don't remember the name of the restaurant but the pasta, vodka sauce and caprice salad was great.

Sunday we went for a drive to the Delaware Water Gap and walked around some little touristy downtown areas. Mostly antique shops and crafty galleries. We had $4 smoothies all around, and big pretzel braids. I could have skipped the smoothie.

Sunday night we had Indian buffet in NJ, near the parents' house. I don't know that I've ever had Indian food that wasn't buffet. Besides a samosa from the place in the Arcade food court downtown. What would I order off a menu???

On the ride home h. and I discussed visiting India with his parents. Btw, his step-father is from India. They visit just about every other year. H. doesn't think he could mentally handle that trip. I say he has to suck it up and deal. We have to go.

No comments: