Monday, October 10, 2005

slow roasted tomatoes

Yesterday I attempted Stephencook's master recipe for slow-roasted tomatoes. I only had about a dozen tomatoes, so I halved the recipe. The house smelled great all day long while they were roasting. The only thing that I didn't like about my batch, is that the garlic dried up into little garlic "chips". I ended up picking most of them off and discarding before I slid the skins off the tomatoes and put them in the oven.

So, today I found this recipe at Epicurious to use up my tomatoes: Bulgur Pilaf with Roasted Tomatoes, Onions, and Garbanzo Beans. I just roasted the onions first and then added the tomatoes from yesterday, garlic and chickpeas and roasted them all together for about 10 minutes in the oven. I didn't bother adding the dill or lemon juice (didn't have either) and it still had lots of flavor. Probably from the herbs added to the initial batch of slow roasted tomatoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly...thanks for the mention and link..your Bulgur Pilaf sounds yummy...about the garlic...I think I pretty much put it in to perfume the kitchen, but I think some of that does penetrate the tomatoes, too...thanks so much for your interest in Stephencooks.com!