Saturday, October 01, 2005

Cleveland's Best???

I'm reading the Cleveland Scene's Best Of Cleveland '05 issue. Why do I even bother? I just get annoyed when I read "best of" reports by local papers and magazines. Most of the places are the same as last year---except for the "Best NEW fill-in-the-blank". Who makes up ridiculous categories like Best Downtown Grocery or Best Barbecued Spaghetti? Sometimes publications list the the Top 3 fill-in-the-blanks. But, I'm seeing categories where there aren't even 3 contenders in existence! I mean really...how many downtown grocery stores are there? Was this even a category when Dave's was the ONLY one? Also, if anyone knows who else serves bbq spaghetti beside the winner, please let me know.

I am way off base here?

I hope that these publications are trying to promote local business. Maybe I'm supposed to say to myself "Best Frisbee Golf"---that sounds like fun!" and that's great. But when they list Border's as the Reader's Poll Winner for "Best Bookstore", like I said before---it kinda annoys me. I know that a lot of people buy books at Borders.

No comments: